facebook status - Make 10000 GB Traffic In One day through Using OpenVPN

 Using Open VPN to tunnel all traffic through my home server

I want to be able to send all my internet traffic to the Linux machine I have running in my apartment and I am not a networking expert. My motivation for this post is threefold; document my process for future reference, share my info and see if people have suggestions for how to do this better. I am not going to go through every option, just what I did and what worked for me.

The next step was to figure out what I needed to do. I decided on using openvpn because I already use it for work and because it’s open source. I found the how-to document on the openvpn site to be really useful. I am using Fedora, so I skipped the section on installing openvpn from source and ran sudo yum install openvpn. My next step was to copy the pki support files into a directory by running cp -r /usr/share/openvpn/easy-rsa/2.0/* .“. I then followed the directions for generating the pki infrastructure.

For this to work you need an open port on your server. I used the openvpn standard of 1194. I tested that the port was open with netcat by running nc -l 1194on my server andnc server.name 1194“. Writing on either terminal will show the output on the other on EOL.
At this point, I needed to set up the server configuration. I copied the sample config file to my directory by running cp cp /usr/share/doc/openvpn-2.1.4/sample-config-files/server.conf server.conf“. I found that the sample server config file seemed to work great for me with the following changes:

diff -U0 sample-config-files/server.conf config/server.conf
--- sample-config-files/server.conf 2011-12-12 21:43:31.000000000 -0800
+++ config/server.conf 2011-12-12 22:16:46.000000000 -0800
@@ -196,0 +197,2 @@
+push "dhcp-option DNS 0.0.0.0"
+push "dhcp-option DNS 0.0.0.0"
@@ -204 +206 @@
-;client-to-client
+client-to-client 
 
The first change pushes DNS servers to my client (fake ips, obviously) and the second change is to allow different clients to talk to each other. I am not sure how useful the inter-client link will end up being.
I am using the Viscosity client because that’s the only sane way to do this on OS X and Windows. Sending all traffic over the vpn link is the default behaviour for Network Manager (Linux). I started with the sample by running cp /usr/share/doc/openvpn-2.1.4/sample-config-files/client.conf .“. My changes where pretty basic:

diff -U0 sample-client.conf client.conf
--- sample-client.conf 2011-12-12 22:43:11.000000000 -0800
+++ client.conf 2011-12-12 21:49:17.000000000 -0800
@@ -42 +42 @@
-remote my-server-1 1194
+remote server.name 1194
@@ -89,2 +89,2 @@
-cert client.crt
-key client.key
+cert laptop.crt
+key laptop.key

At this point, the client side configuration was ready to transfer, so I tarred up the needed files with:

mkdir ovpn-configs
cp keys/ca.crt keys/laptop.crt keys/laptop.key client.conf ovpn-configs/
tar jcf laptop-openvpn-config.tar.bz2 ovpn-configs
 
and used scp to transfer the files over to my laptop.
Once on my laptop, I untarred the files and imported the configuration into Viscosity. I did this by:
  • clicking on Viscosity menu icon then selecting preferences
  • clicking on plus arrow with down, selecting “import connection” then selecting “from file”
  • selected the client.conf file from the tarball
Next, I configured all my traffic to go over vpn. I selected the “client” configuration from the list of configurations and pressed the “edit” button. In the sheet, I navigated to the “networking” tab and checked the box for “send all traffic over VPN connection”. My client side configuration was complete.
At this stage, I tested that my machine was able to connect to my openvpn server. I gathered the various files needed for the openvpn server into a single directory:

mkdir ~/openvpn-server/
cp keys/* ~/openvpn-server #lazy
cp server.conf ~/openvpn-server

and started the server with cd ~/openvpn-server && sudo openvpn server.conf“. I connected using viscosity to the server. The client connected properly, but I was unable to resolve anything on dns or reach anything other than my openvpn server. Reading the openvpn howto suggested setting up a NAT. I did some searching and found a page with information on setting up the NAT. I did:


echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o tun0 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i tun0 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT


At this point, everything worked! I ran traceroute, and the first hop was my vpn server’s vpn address (10.8.0.1). I also used some websites to check my public IP and it was showing as my server’s IP.

I hope this is useful to others. If I’ve done something really dumb, I’d appreciate any suggestions for how to do it better! I have left out information about how to start the openvpn service on boot. This isn’t really important to me right now but if I ever bother with it, I’ll update this blog post.




Free, facebook, tips, Links, blogging, Downloads, Google, facebookTips, money, news, apps, Social, Media, Website, Tricks, games, Android, software, PIctures, Internet, Security, Web, codes, Review, bloggers, SAMSUNG, Worldwide, Contest, Exitic, Phones, facebookTricks, hacking, London, Olympics, SEO, Youtube, iOS, Adsense, gadgets, iPHONE, widgets, Doodle, twitter, video, Deals, technology, Aircel, Airtel, iPAD, Angry, Birds, BSNL, TechLife, GMAIL, Idea, Microsoft, SmartPhones, Stress, Buster, Windows, Yahoo, Infolinks, Nokia, Scam, Uninor, browsers, Amazon, Euro, CUP, Chat, IDM, JOBS, Modem, Music, Reliance, Results, SSC, Tata, Docomo, bing, freebie, mobile, placements, AIEEE, AlertPay, Chrome, College, Competetive, Exam, Dehradun, Extension, FireFox, GPRS, HTC, IMPACT, Info, MTS, Mark, Zukerberg, Paypal, Promotional, Post, Torrent, UTU, Unlocking, VodaFone, Wall, Paper, apple, books, engineering, iCAR, iTunes, pinterest, rovio, AVG, Admit, Card, Adobe, Affiliate, Marketing, Akhilesh, Amul, Girl, BlackBerry, ChromeBook, Clixsense, Coupon, Digitallife, Discovery, Emoticons, Festival, GATE, GIMP, Income, Tax, International, JSS, JailBreaking, Kindle, Linux, Local, MAX, PAYNE, Mac, Mango, Memory, Speed, Nexus, Online, Shopping, Raakhi, Report, Rising, Stars, Sample, Science, Sony, Syllabus, TabletBooK, Teamviewer, Templates, Dark, Knight, Rises, USA, UPMT, Virgin, Xperia, ZTE, challan, counselling, course, btech, funny, iMOVE, registration

source:http://trafficneed.blogspot.com/2012/05/135786650616275.html

Labels

Web Search Gmail Google Docs Mobile YouTube Google Maps Google Chrome User interface Tips iGoogle Social Google Reader Traffic Making Devices cpp programming Ads Image Search Google Calendar tips dan trik Google Video Google Translate web programming Picasa Web Albums Blogger Google News Google Earth Yahoo Android Google Talk Google Plus Greasemonkey Security software download info Firefox extensions Google Toolbar Software OneBox Google Apps Google Suggest SEO Traffic tips Book Search API Acquisitions InOut Visualization Web Design Method for Getting Ultimate Traffic Webmasters Google Desktop How to Blogging Music Nostalgia orkut Google Chrome OS Google Contacts Google Notebook SQL programming Google Local Make Money Windows Live GDrive Google Gears April Fools Day Google Analytics Google Co-op visual basic Knowledge java programming Google Checkout Google Instant Google Bookmarks Google Phone Google Trends Web History mp3 download Easter Egg Google Profiles Blog Search Google Buzz Google Services Site Map for Ur Site game download games trick Google Pack Spam cerita hidup Picasa Product's Marketing Universal Search FeedBurner Google Groups Month in review Twitter Traffic AJAX Search Google Dictionary Google Sites Google Update Page Creator Game Google Finance Google Goggles Google Music file download Annoyances Froogle Google Base Google Latitude Google Voice Google Wave Google Health Google Scholar PlusBox SearchMash teknologi unik video download windows Facebook Traffic Social Media Marketing Yahoo Pipes Google Play Google Promos Google TV SketchUp WEB Domain WWW World Wide Service chord Improve Adsence Earning jurnalistik sistem operasi AdWords Traffic App Designing Tips and Tricks WEB Hosting linux How to Get Hosting Linux Kernel WEB Errors Writing Content award business communication ubuntu unik